What should I do if my account has been hacked?
If you have reasons to believe your NETELLER account has been compromised, please follow the steps bellow:
- Contact us immediately via one of the contact channels at the bottom of this page.
- If you have access to your account, log in via web and change your login credentials (password, Secure ID). Update all your credentials for other accounts where you might be using the same username/email address and password.
- If you have a Net+ Prepaid Mastercard®, lock it from the card section of your account.
- If you think fraudsters have gained access to your device(s), disconnect from the internet, and remove any remote access software you might have.
- Report the scam to your local law enforcement or the police. If you’re based in the UK, you can report scams to Action Fraud UK; if you’re based outside the UK, report to the cybercrime unit of your national police force.
If the email address registered with your NETELLER account has been broken into, change it immediately with a new one by going to section Settings > Personal details (available on web only).
Account takeover could happen to anyone, and any type of online account can be compromised by fraudsters. In many cases, criminals will use fake phone numbers and pose as customer support agents to trick you into giving them your sensitive data, which they will later use to take over your account.
Note: NETELLER will never need to ask you for your password or Secure ID! Anyone asking you for this information is pretending to be us.
Fraudsters may also ask you to download software or grant them permission to access your device to “fix a problem”, when instead they access your information and steal your passwords in the background. They could even upload viruses or malware to your device to track your keystrokes and monitor your online movements.
How does NETELLER safeguard my data?
All NETELLER accounts are protected by two-factor authentication to help keep your account secure.
Your account login, personal details and transaction details are also kept safe using Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology with high-security 128-bit encryption, certified by VeriSign.
If you have a Net+ Prepaid Mastercard® you’ll benefit from a security feature called 3D Secure which authenticates certain online transactions and ensures your money is safe.
While we have many systems in place to safeguard your account, your own actions matter, too. The following tips can help you keep your account secure and out of the hands of fraudsters:
- Keep all your personal and financial data secure and never share it with third parties.
- Never share your Secure ID, passwords, or one-time passcodes.
- Set strong, unique passwords and change them regularly.
- Use a unique username and password for each of your accounts.
- Always double check who you’re sending money to.
- Resist any pressure to act immediately.
- Be suspicious of offers that seem too good to be true.
- Don't click suspicious links or attachments in emails. Always access websites directly to log in to your accounts.
- Update your devices with the latest firewall and antivirus software.
- Avoid using public Wi-Fi networks when accessing sensitive information.
The Net+ Prepaid Mastercard® is available only to residents of authorized European Economic Area (EEA) countries and the UK.