What happens to a NETELLER account if the account holder passes away?
We realize that dealing with financial affairs can be challenging when you have lost a loved one. Don’t worry – we’re here to support you at this difficult time.
If you’re not sure what steps you should take, check out the list below that we have compiled from several publicly available resources. Please note that this is in no way legal advice, and you should contact a professional advisor to help you through the process.
- First, you should register the death at your closest registry office. The timelines are different for the different countries, so please check with your local office.
- The registry office will then issue a death certificate which you can use to handle the deceased person’s affairs.
- Contact us via the available channels below and submit the necessary documents to release the account holder’s funds.
Once we receive your documents, we’ll close the account and refund any remaining balance. To protect our customers’ privacy, we won’t disclose any personal information or take any actions on the account and balance until we can verify that you’re acting on behalf of the deceased person. Check out our Privacy Notice for more information.
What details do I need to provide?
As soon as you contact us, be ready to provide the following:
1. Deceased person’s details
- full names;
- date of birth;
- email address and phone number associated with the account.
2. Your details
- full names;
- email address or phone number.
3. Documents to verify you can act on the deceased person’s behalf
- a picture of your ID/passport – check out the related articles below to see our requirements;
- copy of the death certificate or the equivalent document in your country;
- copy of an official document confirming your rights as heir-at-law, such as Power of Attorney or another notary-signed document;
- (only in some cases) copy of your bank statement.
We issue refunds where applicable on a case-by-case basis. When you’ve provided all required details, our customer support will keep in touch with you and let you know of all the specifics.
If the account holder had crypto assets with us, they will be converted to fiat currency and refunded with the rest of the balance, if any.
What happens to my account if I die?
As soon as your representative notifies us of your death, we’ll suspend all activity on your account as soon as possible. We’ll ensure the support your representative needs, as well as that we go through the correct legal process when acting on the instructions given by them.